Restorative Training Level 1
Andrea Peloso has been offering courses based on her extensive experience assisting Judith Lasater as well as other teachers for over a decade and has been studying with Judith and teaching Restorative since 2004. She now teaches regularly across North America and sometimes further afield. Andrea creates a safe, fun, educational, and healing environment in which to learn and grow as people and as teachers. See Andrea’s full bio.
In the context of this course we will be studying the science of the nervous system as well as traditional wisdom and many different postures in different variations. We will be exploring the nuance and complexities of creating safer spaces for ourselves and others and creating a platform for deep experiences in the postures, beginning with ourselves.
- Basics of Restorative Yoga
- Understanding the Nervous System: Parasympathetic and Sympathetic. How
- Restorative Yoga Affects the Nervous System.
- The well-propped pose: to prop or not to prop and why?- Stress related disorders, and how they can be caused by an imbalanced nervous system.
- Understanding the role of traditional wisdom and scientific understanding as it informs the Restorative Yoga Practice.
- Restorative Yoga and the 5 senses. Exploring these concepts practically through practice.
Elements of Support, Adjustments
- Cultural and psychological aspects of welcoming deep support.
- The role of mindfulness in the Restorative yoga practice.
- A detailed look at proper support of the hands, knees, back, pelvis, arms, and neck in Savasana and elevated chest pose.
- Use of blankets to move and support of the body.
- Art of touch.
- Adjustments with blankets.
- Stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system with either props or adjustments.
- Use of weights and sandbags
- Understanding the basics of what each pose does to various systems and parts of the body according to traditional wisdom.
- Ayurveda, Western Culture, and Restorative Yoga: The Three doshas and how they relate to Restorative Yoga – a general discussion with resources.
Pelvis and Lower Back
- Restorative Variations on Grounding the pelvis, and healing the Back.
- Using pillars (when possible)
- Postures that emphasise different sides of the lungs
- Postures for the liver
- The emotion of Anger
Breathing, Soothing, Lungs, and Liver
- Four Sides of the Lungs.
- Restorative Twists.
- The emotion of anger.
Understanding the affect of these poses on the full digestive system.
Women, Men, Intersex: Prostate, Menses and Menopause
A look at supporting hormonal changes in all manner of set ups according to each different condition.
Pregnancy, Fertility, Sides and Hips
- Restorative Yoga for Pregnancy, and Fertility.
- Restorative side supports
- Restorative side lying poses for scoliosis (when applicable)
- Restorative Yoga and Pregnancy – a lecture on the stages of pregnancy, what to avoid, and when.
Kidneys, Heart, Joints, and Depression
- Restoratives for Kidneys and Heart.
- Restoratives for Depression
- Understanding and modifying for specific injuries. Teaching Restorative Yoga with Case studies.
- Restorative Backbends
- Supporting various joint and structural injuries: specific issues, and techniques.
- Soothing Anger
- Calming distress
- Comforting Grief
- Awakening from dullness and depression
- Healing Anxiety
- Being Present to the Emotions in a Restorative Practice.
- The Art of Sequencing for Classes
- Restorative Yoga and the Four Seasons
- Teaching for Groups and Individuals
- Bringing Students to deep rest: ideal timing, atmosphere, reading the room.
- Practice Teaching: Gaining Confidence with presenting the material.
A Comprehensive Teacher Training, non-teachers also welcome
This is a complete Restorative Certification for yoga teachers. This training is also open to everyone and many people from all walks of life attend this training.
Final Project for Restorative Certification
For Restorative Teachers there is a final project that completes your certification. Components for the final project consist of cultivating a home practice in Restorative, a photo journal of private classes with individual Restorative students, and a book report. There is a $60 fee for certification within the first 6 months, The fee goes up to $85 after 6 months and no projects will be accepted for certification after one year.
40 Hour Restorative Live-Online Training
November 26-28 & December 10-12
Fridays 6-9 ET
(accommodations can be made for students from the Europe/other far away time zones for a make up class)
Saturdays/Sundays 10-4pm ET
Follow up meetings will be established at the time of the training. Three in person spots are available in this training, that location of the in person is Montreal. For more information contact: email@example.com
For a complete breakdown of the training and student testimonials, click here.
Early Bird rate (March 31) is $795.00 CAD + tax
Regular price is $915 CAD + tax
COVID pandemic scholarships of $100 CAD can be applied for, email below to inquire.
For information or to pay and register email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadians – you can etransfer a deposit or the full payment + 13% sales tax (please email for details)
All others – you can PayPal the deposit without paying tax + $25 PayPal fee (please email for details)
“One of the best things bout the COVID crisis is all of the amazing yoga teachers I’ve had an opportunity to lean from via zoom. But no one has been more inspiring to me than this lovely soul Andrea Marie Peloso. I’ve been practicing with Andrea since the lockdown began and I can say that it is because of her amazing classes that I’ve been able to maintain my sanity. She has taught me how to bring compassion and empathy into my classes and how healing it can be to just rest in silence. From the bottom of my heart, my family and I thank you! If you want to experience deep relaxation and contentment I HIGHLY encourage you to attend her class!!!”
– Verlena Vujnovic, yoga instructor and massage therapist
For more student testimonials: Click here